Braids tooooo tight?
We love to have our natural hair flourish under the protection of weaves, twists and braids, but a lot of times these styles hurt! Are braids tooooo tight? Here are a few ways that you can beat the pain caused by protective styling. Take a look at this great video by Essence Tierra.
Braids tooooo tight
- Opting out for knotless braids instead of traditional box braids with a knot can make a world of difference. The concept involves parting the hair how you would with traditional box braids, but allows you to feed in braiding hair after you’ve started braiding the natural hair for added thickness and length. Though knotless braids can take a little longer than traditional box braids, the style can last anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.
- Taking pain killers an hour before, and after you’ve gotten your hair braided is another way to combat pain from braiding.
- Using an oil of your choice and giving yourself a scalp massage will also loosen braids and twists to relieve pain.
- Placing a steamy washcloth that’s been soaked in hot water and wrung out over tight braids can help loosen them. Boiling a pot of water, and using the steam to loosen those braids are another way to help with pain caused by tight braids. But be careful not to burn yourself!
5. Slowly rotating box braids and twists can help loosen tension caused at the scalp by heavy hair.